Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Let’s Talk Sex

For almost 40 years now the sexual revolution has had it’s impact on America. In the 60’s an advisory group including clergy would preview every new Hollywood movie to see if it was appropriate. This was even before it was given a rating (G, PG, or R. PG13 and X didn’t exist yet). Television was closely monitored and protected. Now … well, you know what has happened as much as I do. Protection of children from explicit material WAS in the hands of government and media but now it is in the hands of parents and teachers. We have heard the mantra repeated over and over again in various forms that tell us: “The more information our kids have the better decision they can make about their own sexuality.”

To that, I politely say, “hogwash!” I believe the last forty years have taught us that what kids need is LESS information about sex. MORE information has brought us a nation of oversexed kids. MORE information has brought us a nation where kids don’t even know that they DON’T have to have sex. Most think that right now it is a requirement of high school graduation, and certainly a requirement of entrance into college. You don’t believe me? Look at every survey of teen sexuality and you will find that kids are having sex at a younger age and with more and more partners – both male and female. Teens will look at you with blank eyes when you ask them why they are having sex with a person they really don’t even know – it is like asking them why they breath air. MORE information on sex has given our kids an extremely educated confusion.

I am tired of it. I am tired of seeing sex on almost every TV show. I am tired of seeing it in magazines and movies and music videos. I am tired of it. I am becoming more and more convinced that the problem is too much information. I long for the days when teens were embarrassed about sex, when teen pregnancy was a stigma and feared. I know … I know … you can always turn off the TV, turn off the radio, and even quit going to places that promote it. But I am afraid we cannot close Pandora’s Box again. It took one generation to get into sex – it will take many generations to make it proper again. But it is time to start.

www.themoralbusiness.com

No comments: